Wednesday, January 19, 2011

4: WWW= Who What Where

For weeks my writing has consisted of html and CSS. The company I work for is launching a new website and an online shopping cart.


While my personal writing is suffering, my brain is working on overdrive! I am learning so much about style sheets, php, dynamic run time, blah blah blah... seriously, I've learned a lot, but I'm also very very lost! I do not claim to be an IT person, I have no desire to become an IT person... however, I happen to work for a pretty small (employee wise) company and I do 80% of the web work. I am the only one that has taken an html class, and I thought I could handle the install of a shopping cart.


BAH! Was I wrong.


But FINALLY, Monday, I found out it's not entirely my problem, or my lack of understanding. I called tech support for the shopping cart and they said I had hosting issues and that I needed "dynamic loading" enabled and our host had to do it. So I called the hosting company, and they're pretty smart people. About an hour after being on the phone with the hosting tech guy... he says it's not a hosting issue, it's the shopping cart's issue... back to square one.

We've decided on a fix - instead of trying to edit and fix, we're starting from scratch. A big issue is the whole Windows hosting vs. Linux... so we're going to fix that. And right when I'm ready to start I receive a phone call from a client saying he wanted to purchase an item from our online shopping site, but the site isn't working. UGGGHHHH! I feel like Charlie Brown and the football known as the Internet/Web Site keeps getting yanked out from before me as I go to kick it!

I've been working on the new issue for about 3 hours now to no avail. I want to cry... and I've learned another new phrase: "Syntax error in ORDER BY clause". Anyone know what that means, because I sure don't!

1 comments:

Monica & Clayton said...

Jaime you and I are having the same week. Only I know a whole lot less about web stuff. Tried teaching myself HTML, managed to create the file I needed, but when I load it on our host site, the change is not reflected when you bring up the page!! GGrrrr! Now trying to hire someone to keep on call for our updates. sigh

Post a Comment